History 2017-11-03T15:42:18+00:00

Roey history

The Roebuck Bay Hotel

 

Today affectionately known as “The Roey”, The Roebuck Bay Hotel was established in 1880 by E.W. Streeter and was one of the first buildings in Broome when it was just a tiny settlement town.

E.W. Streeter was a London Jeweller who held pearling interests in Broome and South-East Asia.  At the time of building the Roebuck Bay Hotel he was also establishing Streeters’ Store, selling pearls and Mother of Pearl to visitors and locals alike.

The Roebuck was built to encourage the pearling lugger crews to remain in Broome and it was here that they would relax and unwind after their long days at sea. The original building was destroyed in a fire in 1904 which led to the rebuilding of the main building though the integrity of the Roey remains the same today.

The Roebuck Bay Hotel has changed hands many times over the years and had many renovations and changes. Mrs Nightingall purchased the hotel in 1955 and made extensive renovations, including the addition of pre-made bedrooms which were transported by semi-trailer from Perth. In 1973 the hotel was bought by The Swan before prominent Broome identity, Brian Coppin purchased the hotel in the late 1980’s and made a number of extensions and renovations which created the Roey as the building that we know and love today;

The front bar was reshaped, the separated indigenous bar (now the TAB) was abolished and the beer garden was transformed into our superb live music venue, Oasis . To top it all off he created two story accommodation with a tropical swimming pool and opened the Pearlers Bar and Bistro.

In the early 2000’s Coppo branched out further and snapped up the local nightclub just a stones throw away from the Roey, Skylla Lounge Bar.

The Roebuck Bay Hotel has always been the hub of Broome for social gatherings and continues to be so today.

There is no more authentic Broome experience than a visit to the “Roey”.

 

Roebuck Bay Hotel in the 70'sRoebuck Bay Hotel in the old daysBar maid at the old Roebuck Bay Hotel